Shutdown during winter (on purpose)

General Outdoor Boiler Discussion
becarp
OWB brand: Empyre
OWB Model: Pro Fab 400

Re: Shutdown during winter (on purpose)

Post by becarp » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:35 pm

becarp wrote:
ITO wrote:Ok, blew out the lines to the house and the tub last night, pumped them full of RV antifreeze and we are on the bottle(LP)! All went well but surprised me on the amount of antifreeze I needed to pump. The distance from the house to the boiler is about 50 feet so total of 100 feet of 1" for supply and return plus 70' total of 1/2" tubing for the tub. That took me nearly 9 gallons of antifreeze which I didn't expect, no big deal but I thought it would be less.
Sure feels strange tonite not going out to feed the boiler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep me posted on how it works out. I’m going to be doing same thing soon. Thanks

ITO
OWB brand: HeatSource1
OWB Model: 555

Post by ITO » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:23 am

Becarp, I am happy to give you my feedback but realistically I wont have much info for a while. We will very soon be gone for a while and when we return it will be warm enough not to worry about frost or freezing. I do plan to refill my system with water then so the tank does not sit dry all summer, at that point I will find out if I have any leaks and hopefully I can let you know there were no problems!

ITO

Post by ITO » Mon May 07, 2018 8:52 pm

OK, we're back and the frost is pretty much out, question for you all...would you leave the antifreeze in the lines for summer and deal with it in the fall or should we push the RV antifreeze out and fill with water and chemical to sit for the summer?
PS have a great summer, take a break from feeding the boiler, relax and let the sunshine in...have a great offseason!!!

becarp
OWB brand: Empyre
OWB Model: Pro Fab 400

Post by becarp » Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

ITO wrote:OK, we're back and the frost is pretty much out, question for you all...would you leave the antifreeze in the lines for summer and deal with it in the fall or should we push the RV antifreeze out and fill with water and chemical to sit for the summer?
PS have a great summer, take a break from feeding the boiler, relax and let the sunshine in...have a great offseason!!!
Would leaving anti freeze reduce the chance of corrosion vs water?

RSI
OWB brand: HeatMaster
OWB Model: G200

Post by RSI » Wed May 09, 2018 10:38 am

If you are going to use it for sure right away next winter, I would fill it with water and treatment now.

ITO

Post by ITO » Thu May 10, 2018 8:10 pm

I was thinking that filling it up would be better just to keep the inside of the boiler walls from being exposed to air/oxidizing. I will do this soon, how about this, any reason to remove the RV antifreeze? I won't be expecting it to protect anything just would eliminate a step if I can just leave it in and dilute it with water.

ITO

Post by ITO » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:30 am

I wanted to check back in and say that my shut down last winter was a success, the RV antifreeze did the job and this fall our startup went well, back in business and will probably be doing shut down early again this year. Just wanted to say that if you are thinking about shutting down in the cold this method worked for us.