New setup help with install

General Outdoor Boiler Discussion
171farm
OWB brand: Heatmaster
OWB Model: G200

New setup help with install

Post by 171farm » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:40 pm

Last year my wife and I built a new house. The contractor puts in electric heat pumps with a backup electric strip and my plan was to install an outdoor furnace. Something happened and I was out the money for the furnace. Fast forward a year and I have the down payment on a Heatmaster G200. It will be installed here withing a few weeks, Im just waiting on my excavator to come dig the trench (as well as do the final grade of the rest of my property) and I can pour a pad. I have a plumber lined up to do all the plumbing for me since he piped the house as it was being built for hot water. He is willing to allow me to purchase the equipment and he will install everything. He hasnt came back to tell me what all I need yet but I think I have a lot of it figured out. Id like to run everything past you guys to tell me what you think and suggestions of where I went wrong. Ultimately since he is installing he will call the shots but the more I read and learn about things I think its really fun to plan this on my own.

So here were go.
Heatmast G200
-2 story home will be heating 3,000 square feet plus domestic hot water
-Combination of hot water radiators and hot water radiant floor heating. 3 zones for radiators and 2 zones of floor heat.
-My pipe from the furnace will be 1 1/4" pex 45' to the house and another 60' from point of entry to the heat exchanger. All other pipe I believe is 3/4"
-70 plate heat exchanger for heating
-10 plate for DHW
-5 Gundfos UPS 15-58 for the zones
-1 Gundfos UPS 26-99 at the back of the furnace

I know i probably dont have all the returns drawn right but basically come from the furnace to the 70 plate and then to my zone pumps. Where do i put the dhw heat exchanger? I think I have everything parts wise (minus elbows and mixing valves...) down on the drawing. What am I missing and or what am i doing wrong

171farm

Re: New setup help with install

Post by 171farm » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:44 pm

Forgot the taco 6 zone relay to control the zone pumps

RSI
OWB brand: HeatMaster

Post by RSI » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:07 pm

I will reply more when I am at a computer. Is the owb the only source thing that heats the hydronic system?

171farm

Post by 171farm » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:26 pm

RSI wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:07 pm
I will reply more when I am at a computer. Is the owb the only source thing that heats the hydronic system?
Yes no other water system in the house. I do not plan to hook this to the hot air system either

RSI

Post by RSI » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:44 pm

Unless the house is a ways higher than the OWB, I would consider skipping the 70 plate and just run the same water in everything. I know others on the other site would not agree with that though.

If you do pressurize the house system, you will have to add an expansion tank.

In the text it says 10 plate for DHW but the picture shows 20.
Where is the water heater in relation to the OWB side of the piping? Unless it is far out of the way, I would run the water from the OWB to a 30 plate then to the 70 plate then back to owb. If you use a 10 or 20 plate, it would work ok if you use monoflow tees or a circulator to keep the plate out of the main loop.

171farm

Post by 171farm » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:02 am

The house is not higher at the heat exchanger but obviously the radiators would be.

On the picture i accidentally typed 20 plate but i was thinking 10. The water tank would right beside the exchanger just a few feet to the right

RSI

Post by RSI » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:49 am

The simplest way is to just put the DHW plate in series but you can not use a 10 plate if you do that. Like I mentioned above, either a 30 plate (~5x12") or don't put it in series.
The 70 plate will make keeping air out of the radiators much easier so probably worth keeping. You do need to add an expansion tank.

I will look over it some more when I get more time.

171farm

Post by 171farm » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:30 am

Ok so i think I understand it. Water comes in from OWB to the 30 plate then into the 70 plate then back to the OWB. The water tank heats from the 30 the radiators heat off the 70 plate. Obviously there needs to be an expansion tank but where does that go? I think the below is what you are saying to do?

RSI

Post by RSI » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:47 pm

Yes, that is how I would do it. The reason I would use a 30 plate for this instead of a 20 plate is because of the length and size of pipe you are using. If you used a 20 plate it would be the bottleneck in the loop.

The expansion tank is usually before the pump(s). You will want an air separator too. Usually the expansion tank mounts on the bottom of it.

171farm

Post by 171farm » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:04 am

Thank you so much for all your help!