Looking for fire / refractory brick in Mid-Michigan

oldchenowth
OWB brand:
OWB Model:

Looking for fire / refractory brick in Mid-Michigan

Post by oldchenowth » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:21 pm

I am looking for an odd size dense fire brick for my Wood Doctor. It is 9" long 2.5" thick and 6.75" wide. I need 8 of them. I have called a few local places and all they carry is standard 9x4x2.5. I ended up putting standard in last year and they all broke.

Another question is can they be cut? I had to weld up some spacers and the angle iron I had was thicker than what WD had originally, making the brick about 1/2" too wide now. I have never tried to cut these, will they disintegrate when the dry saw hits them? Or could I use my wet tile saw?

RSI
OWB brand: HeatMaster
OWB Model: G200

Re: Looking for fire / refractory brick in Mid-Michigan

Post by RSI » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:22 pm

I am not sure where to get that size but they cut good with either wet or dry diamond blade. I have used a wet tile saw and also used a 14" concrete diamond blade in a chop saw.

I have some of the cement powder around for casting them but not sure if it is any good anymore. If you can't find any bricks the right size and want to try making some, let me know and I will check if it is still any good. I could fill some flat rate boxes. :mrgreen:

oldchenowth
OWB brand:
OWB Model:

Post by oldchenowth » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:33 am

Thanks RSI. I never thought about making my own. I just figured that was one of those complicated processes that was done with high compression machines and industrial voodoo.

There was/is a place in Grand Rapids someone reminded me of, I'll check there also. If I remember the brick were around $17 each. Rather stout, but I guess like any other consumable, it has to be done.

SlimJim
OWB Model: G 200

Post by SlimJim » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:09 am

I just saw this, are you replacing the bricks on the Wood Doctor Energy converter stove, if so , the bricks came from Canada, I still import about a pallet a year to keep my customers going, I also have a couple of sets of those metal racks to fit it as well, let me know if you need help!
Wood heat is good heat.
mainlycustomsawing@yahoo.com

oldchenowth
OWB brand:
OWB Model:

Post by oldchenowth » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:02 pm

sent you a PM Slim, thanks.

SlimJim
OWB Model: G 200

Post by SlimJim » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:53 am

Thanks,just saw your PM, $8.00 each for the bricks, not sure on the shipping!
Wood heat is good heat.
mainlycustomsawing@yahoo.com

crankshaftdan II
OWB brand: Woodmor
OWB Model: 400CSS

Post by crankshaftdan II » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:41 am

oldchenowth wrote:I am looking for an odd size dense fire brick for my Wood Doctor. It is 9" long 2.5" thick and 6.75" wide. I need 8 of them. I have called a few local places and all they carry is standard 9x4x2.5. I ended up putting standard in last year and they all broke.

Another question is can they be cut? I had to weld up some spacers and the angle iron I had was thicker than what WD had originally, making the brick about 1/2" too wide now. I have never tried to cut these, will they disintegrate when the dry saw hits them? Or could I use my wet tile saw?
Just asking if you found the bricks in question? I have some extra used bricks @ my place up north-don't remember the sizes--LMK if you are still in need..........Cranky :?: