Pump failure

General Outdoor Boiler Discussion
walleye
OWB brand: Central Boiler
OWB Model: 6048

Pump failure

Post by walleye » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:08 pm

DC332403-A12F-4D1D-B0CA-AE6E4FDD2017.jpeg
Went to put wood in the furnace this morning and noticed something making a lot more noise than normal. Pump on my shop loop was the guilty critter. I had a spare cartridge for it. It’s a Taco 009, going on 7 years old. Looks like I need to get another spare for the house loop now! I see bronze ones listed on eBay, just wondering if they would work in place of the plastic ones?

RSI
OWB brand: HeatMaster
OWB Model: G200

Re: Pump failure

Post by RSI » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Is the impeller actually bronze or is it just the cartridge for a bronze pump that you were looking at?
7 years isn't bad but if it was mine, I would look into changing to a Grundfos. Overall I have had much better luck with them than Taco.

walleye
OWB brand: Central Boiler
OWB Model: 6048

Post by walleye » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:09 pm

The cartridge that failed has a white plastic impeller. I have a replacement cartridge for a bronze pump that has a black plastic impeller. Other than the color of the impeller they look identical. Kind of surprised the taco went this long also from what I have heard about them but then I've had guys tell me they lasted for many years. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and change the one on my house loop now instead of waiting on it to fail. You know it would fail at the worse possible time! Kind of curious as to what the impeller is like in it? I have two spare Grundfos 15-42 pumps that I could put in if I need to but I'm not sure how well they would work.

RSI
OWB brand: HeatMaster
OWB Model: G200

Post by RSI » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:18 pm

How well the 15-42 pumps do would depend on what you have in your system. If you don't have a lot of pipe and fittings then the 15-42 might move more water. If there is a lot then it wouldn't work very well.

I would just check the pumps once in a while. They usually start getting noisy before they fail.